***For this event, we require that all participants be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. If you are not able to meet this requirement, we will be glad to extend another invitation for next year. The number of participants is limited to allow for adequate social distancing. We will be following CDC and local guidelines on mask-wearing.
This workshop will take you through the steps in analyzing woven fabrics, to identify how they were constructed, dyed, and finished. You will gain hands-on experience in identifying yarn properties, including fiber type and yarn count, spinning type, and twist direction and amount. You will learn to identify the fabric face and back and fabric construction parameters, including thread count, warp and weft direction, warp and filling contraction, selvage construction, loom type, shedding method, fabric weight and width, weave design. You will also gain understanding of characteristics of greige vs. finished fabric and learn to identify dyeing methods and mechanical and chemical finishes. Knowledge gained through subjective and objective methods of fabric analysis will be useful in verifying that suppliers have met fabric specifications, as well as in duplicating existing fabrics and in developing new and improved products.
- 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- The basic components of a woven fabric.
- How to identify fiber type and yarn size, type, twist, and configuration.
- How to identify woven fabric constructions and finishes.
- Gain technical knowledge of woven fabric construction.
- Gain an understanding of the effects of different construction and finishing methods.
- Receive first-class instruction from industry professionals.
- Meet peers from other companies with similar responsibilities and interests.
This is an intermediate level workshop. Knowledge of the textile topics listed below is required.
- Basic knowledge of fibers and yarn manufacturing.
- Basic understanding of yarn numbering and twist.
- Some prior knowledge of weaving motions and principles.
- Understanding of basic weave designs.