Introduction to Cotton is a one-day survey workshop that provides an overview of one of the world’s leading fibers. From dirt to shirt, it’s an ideal opportunity for participants that work with cotton products to learn more about the fiber. The ideal participant may be in raw materials, sourcing, or merchandising – but they may also be in sales, legal, accounting, or other roles. If you work in any of these capacities, and need to know more about cotton, then this is the workshop for you.
- 1:00-5:00 p.m. ET
- The physical and performance characteristics of cotton fibers.
- Trade, production, and prices for cotton.
- Transformation of cotton fibers into textile and non-woven products.
- Traceability, sustainability, and labeling for cotton.
- Resources available to help designers, sourcing specialists, merchandisers, and product developers work with cotton.
- Learn basic properties of cotton fibers.
- Identify and understand Pima, Upland, and other basic cotton terms used in the market.
- Learn how cotton is grown, traded, marketed, and sourced.
- Gain insight into the fundamentals of how cotton prices are determined, forecasted, and used in sourcing and trading.
- Receive an overview of how cotton fibers are transformed into yarns, fabrics, and textile products.
- Get introduced to current issues in cotton such as sustainability, traceability, and labeling requirements.
- Learn how to use CottonWorks™ as a resource.
This is an introductory workshop. No prerequisites are required.